The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has confirmed that former President Jacob Zuma’s legal team has filed his medical report with the High Court in Pietermaritzburg.
The court had given Zuma’s military medics until Friday, August 20, 2020 to make submissions, but his legal team did not hand over the medical report, as demanded by the same court.
Zuma’s “confidential” medical report
The former president underwent several medical procedures last week and is still being treated in hospital. He was admitted for an undisclosed medical condition.
âI can confirm that Mr. Zuma’s legal team has filed a medical report relating to his state of health. This is a confidential document and we will not make any further comment until the case is heard by the court, âNPA spokesman Mthunzi Mhaga said.
Zuma is currently serving his 15-month prison sentence at Estcourt Correctional Center in Kwazulu-Natal (KZN).
Admission to Zuma hospital delayed his trial for arms sales, as another date had to be set for the resumption. The NPA has made a commitment and is contesting the former president’s proposal to have the prosecutor in the case, Billy Downer is recusing himself.
The Pietermaritzburg High Court ruled that a state doctor could be commissioned to examine Zuma’s condition and determine whether or not he was fit to stand trial.
Mzwanele Manyi, spokesperson for the Jacob Zuma Foundation expressed outrage at the scrutiny of his health.
âPresident Zuma is not in a medical spaza store environment. He’s in a public hospital. We can’t have a situation in this country where a state-run hospital, when they say someone is not doing well, an individual who has a mysterious program coming up and guessing that, is insulting professional integrity. doctors who are dealing with President Zuma, âhe said.
Zuma faces 16 counts of fraud, corruption, racketeering and money laundering related to the controversial multibillion rand arms deal in the late 1990s. The former president is said to have received 783 suspicious payments in the amount of R 1.2 million from French arms maker Thales, through his disgraced former financial adviser Shabir Shaik.