Zuma doctors MISS deadline to submit medical report

It is now up to the Pietermaritzburg High Court to determine a course of action after former President Jacob Zuma’s medical team missed the deadline to submit a report on his fitness to stand trial.

The court had given Zuma’s military medics until Friday, August 20, 2020 to make submissions, but his legal team did not hand over the medical report, as demanded by the same court.

The former president underwent several medical procedures last week and is still being treated in hospital. He was admitted for an undisclosed medical condition.

Zuma is currently serving his 15-month prison sentence at Estcourt Correctional Center in Kwazulu-Natal (KZN).

The Jacob Zuma Foundation on the missed deadline

Jacob Zuma Foundation spokesman Mzwanele Manyi said he hoped all of the former president’s cases would be settled in time for his next court appearance in September.

“As it stands now, due to all the other delays in the medical fraternity, that deadline (August 20, 2021) has been missed and I believe there are processes in place to handle this situation. We therefore remain hopeful that by September 9, everything will be in order.

Jacob Zuma Foundation spokesperson Mzwanele Manyi

Manyi added that they remained concerned about the NPA’s decision to appoint a doctor to come and supervise military health workers while they administer care to the former president.

Admission to Zuma hospital delayed his trial for arms sales, as another date had to be set for the resumption. The NPA has made a commitment and is contesting the former president’s proposal to have the prosecutor in the case, Billy Downer is recusing himself.

The High Court ruled that a state doctor could be commissioned to examine Zuma’s state of health and determine whether or not he was fit to stand trial.

Zuma faces 16 counts of fraud, corruption, racketeering and money laundering related to the controversial multibillion rand arms deal in the late 1990s. The former president is said to have received 783 suspicious payments in the amount of R 1.2 million from French arms maker Thales, through his disgraced former financial adviser Shabir Shaik.


Source link