Wrongful death lawsuit filed against Metro Corrections, former health care provider | New

LOUISVILLE, Ky., (WDRB) – The family of a former Metro Corrections inmate have filed a wrongful death complaint against prison workers and his former medical provider, among others, claiming negligence was a “factor important “in his death in 2012.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in Jefferson Circuit Court on behalf of LaKenya Porter, claims that Corizon, the private company that provided the prison’s medical care at the time, and Metro Corrections director Mark Bolton, did not failed to properly train and supervise staff, who provided Porter with inappropriate information. medical care.

The trial comes weeks after the Louisville Metro Police Public Integrity Unit concluded its investigation into Porter’s death on July 24, 2012, with prosecutors finding no criminal behavior but criticizing both Corizon and Metro Corrections for their care.

As the lawsuit comes after the one-year statute of limitations for filing a civil action, Brandon Lawrence, who represents Porter’s estate, said the family were unaware of the myriad of issues with Porter’s care until the police investigation was released in January.

“The prison gave them no information” about Porter’s death, he said in an interview.

Bolton only said Porter, 33, died of natural causes, and neither prison officials nor Corizon have further commented on Porter’s death due to the potential for litigation.

A request for comment from Corizon on Thursday was not immediately returned.

Bill Patteson, spokesperson for the county attorney’s office, who will represent Metro Corrections, said he could not comment on the ongoing litigation.

The lawsuit seeks compensatory and punitive damages as well as a jury trial.

A total of seven inmates died in Metro Corrections in 2012. Criminal investigations were concluded in each of these cases, with no charges being laid.

Last year, Tennessee-based Corizon decided not to bid on its annual $ 5.5 million contract, despite having been the medical provider for Metro Corrections for most of the past two decades.

According to the police investigation and findings from the Jefferson Commonwealth Prosecutor’s Office, medical staff at Corizon recommended that Porter not be jailed on July 21, 2012, due to his medical condition. She had arrived from the Jewish Hospital on a stretcher, so weak that she could not stand, and her legs were oozing a yellowish liquid.

But Metro Corrections deputy director Dwayne Clark called off the medical staff and ordered Porter to be booked.

Clark later told investigators he was unaware of the severity of Porter’s condition.

Porter later died at the university hospital from a lack of “negligent” care during her 27 hours at the Metro Correctional Center, according to records released by Metro Police.

Porter, who had been diagnosed with liver failure and congestive heart failure, should never have been jailed in the first place, investigators concluded.

Corizon officials have said Porter needs more care than the prison can provide. And during his incarceration, Porter never received any medication.

Dr William Smock, a medical examiner who acted as a consultant to Louisville Metro Police in the investigation, found that Metro Corrections’ decision to cancel three medical providers, including the prison doctor, and to admit Porter to prison, “directly compromising (Porter’s) health and well-being.”

And he said that the failure of medical staff to provide Porter with any of her prescribed medication or that a prison doctor assessed her also “contributed to her death.”

At 2 a.m. on July 22, the nurse in charge of Metro Corrections “again” called the prison doctor, identified only as Dr. Kad, to take Porter to the hospital emergency room, according to police records. police. The nurse in charge noted that Porter “was not an appropriate fit for the level of care at the prison,” according to the police investigation. But the prison doctor “refused,” saying Porter “would not be admitted” to the hospital.

In fact, it wasn’t until a power outage in the prison 20 hours later – around 10 p.m. – that Porter was taken to the teaching hospital. She died there on July 24.

Copyright 2014 WDRB News. All rights reserved.

Source link